It is that time of year again in which I put out the call for presentations for the Southwest Popular/American Culture Association annual conference being held in Albuquerque, New Mexico February 10 - 13, 2016. Details are below.
Call for Presentations:
Espionage and Popular Culture: James Bond, Espionage, and Eurospy
Abstract Submission Deadline: November 1, 2015
37th Annual Southwest Popular /American Culture Association (SWPACA) Conference
Conference Dates: February 10 – 13, 2016
Conference Hotel: Hyatt Regency, 330 Tijeras NW, Albuquerque, NM, (505) 842-1234
Conference Website: http://southwestpca.org/
The SWPACA James Bond, Espionage, and Eurospy Area Chair invites papers on ANY aspect of the James Bond franchise and the spy/espionage and Eurospy genre in films, literature, comics, videogames, and any other popular culture medium. Here are some topics to consider, but this is by no means an exhaustive list of theoretical and pop culture frameworks:
- Spy/espionage – historical context
- Secret agents – global representations and local identities
- Refashioning and ret-con of the spy model
- Cold War, post-modern and 21st century spy psychology
- Gender, i.e. Bond-sploitation
- Film: James Bond, Jason Bourne, Agent Vinod, Salt, Agent 077, Kommisar X, OSS 117, Eurospy, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
- Television: The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Turn, Chuck, MI5, Burn Notice, She Spies, The Assets
- Literature: Fleming, Bruce, Gardner, Benson, Hamilton, Weinberg, Higson, Ludlum, LeCarre
- Comics: X-9 Corrigan, Super Spy, Danger Girl, The Secret Service, Velvet
- Cartoons: Archer, James Bond Jr., Totally Spies!,
- Anime: Najica Blitz Tactics, Golgo 13, Gunslinger Girl, Darker Than Black, Master Keaton
- Videogames: GoldenEye, 007 Legends, Alpha Protocol, No One Lives Forever, Splinter Cell
- Anti-Bond: The Quiller Memorandum, The Ipcress File, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Liquidator
- Music, Fashion, Advertisements, etc.
Please note the following presentation details:
- Please send a 250 word abstract and the presentation title by November 1, 2015 via the online submission database at http://conference2016.southwestpca.org/
- Presentation time consideration: 15 min maximum. Limit of one presentation at the conference. For all areas accepting abstracts, please see: http://southwestpca.org/conference/call-for-papers/
- There are no honorariums for presenters; this is an academic conference. There are, however, a number of award opportunities: http://southwestpca.org/conference/graduate-student-awards/
- Visit http://journaldialogue.org for information about the organization's new peer-reviewed journal, Dialogue: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Popular Culture and Pedagogy.
Please help spread the word about the conference and this call. I do have a pdf version - just email me at email@example.com and I would be happy to forward it to you. Also, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me since I have attended the conference several times.
Hope to see many of you in Albuquerque this coming February!