As Area Chair of the James Bond and Popular Culture panel, I would like to invite you to submit a paper for consideration for the 33rd annual Southwest Texas Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association's conference being held February 8 - 11, 2012 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. For more details, see below:
Call for Papers: James Bond and Popular Culture
Title and Abstract Submission Deadline: December 1, 2011
Southwest/Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Association
33rd Annual Conference celebrating “Food & Culture(s) in a Global Context”
February 8 – 11, 2012
Conference Hotel: Hyatt Regency, 330 Tijeras NW, Albuquerque, NM (505) 842-1234
The SWTX PCA/ACA James Bond and Popular Culture Area Chair invites papers for the annual conference on ANY aspect of James Bond films, literature, comics, video games, and culture. Here are some topics to consider, but is by no means an exhaustive list:
- Explore criticism of recent Bond movies being more like Bourne movies
- Analyzing Bond’s motives in the history of Bond films – have they changed?
- Is there room for a 21st Century Bond?
- Villains as metaphors for nationalistic/political sentiments
- Raymond Benson or John Gardner as Bond Novelist
- How does James Bond novel Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks stand up as a direct sequel to Man with the Golden Gun by Ian Fleming?
- Is Never Say Never part of Bond canon?
- Literary Bond vs. Filmic Bond
- Comparison of Bond portrayals in the films
- Picking Bond – History of Bond Candidates
- Ian Fleming as Storyteller and post-Fleming novels
- Switching Genders: The Character M
- Bond Women/Sexism in Bond Films/Women’s Studies perspective
- James Bond Jr. Cartoon/Comics
- Eurospy and Asian inspired movies
- Videogame adaptations
- Continuity challenges of a 50+ year old franchise (all mediums)
ANY IDEA OR TOPIC relating to Bond will be considered.
Please note the following presentation details:
- Presentation time consideration: 15 – 20 min maximum
- There are no honorariums for presenters; this is an academic conference. There are however, a number of conference award opportunities. See the conference website for more information.
- Please send a 250 word abstract and the presentation title by December 1, 2011 via the online submission link at: http://conference2012.swtxpca.org
- Participant conference registration deadline is December 31, 2011.
Michele Brittany, Independent Scholar, James Bond and Popular Culture Area Chair
Facebook Page: Spy-fi & Superspies